Sickle cell anemia is an inherited form of anemia — a condition in which there aren’t enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen throughout your body. Normally, your red blood cells are flexible and round, moving easily through your blood vessels. In sickle cell anemia, the red blood cells become rigid and sticky and are shaped like sickles or crescent moons. These irregularly shaped cells can get stuck in small blood vessels, which can slow or block blood flow and oxygen to parts of the body.
- Pain and sickle crisis
- Yellowing of skin , mouth , eyes
- chest syndrome
Heal and cure :-
- Bone marrow transplant. Bone marrow transplants can cure some people with sickle cell disease.
- Blood transfusions. These may help treat anemia and prevent stroke. They are also used to dilute the sickled hemoglobin with normal hemoglobin to treat chronic pain, acute chest syndrome, splenic sequestration, and other emergencies.
- Vaccination and antibiotics:- This is used to prevent infection.
Impact of individuals and society:-
- children may have delay sexual maturity.
System which Affected from Sickle cell disease:-
- organ affected
All major organs are affected by sickle cell disease. The liver, heart, kidneys, gallbladder, eyes, bones, and joints can suffer damage from the abnormal function of the sickle cells and their inability to flow through the small blood vessels correctly.
- system affected
Implication of transplantation and advances method:-
Social :-People believe that people blood transfusion is connected to HIV / Aids , so some people does not prefer this method to cure sickle cell disease. chemicals or drugs can to given to conquer immune system which can create many other problem in the body system.
Ethical:- Some times blood transfusion or blood bank does not give blood to poor and hold blood for rich. In many case the bone marrow is transplanted without taking permission / consulting their family , which creates ethical issues.
Economical:- Bone marrow transplant is very costly , that’s why many people does not transplant bone marrow but they rather prefer to take medicine.